Did you know that today is Social Media Day?
Social Media is everywhere these days. Whether you post on social media for business or personal reasons, it seems we just cannot escape it. Unbelievably, social media did not begin with Facebook! From my research, I have found that the first known social media site was Six Degrees, created in 1997 (now defunct). It was the first site to let users create a profile and make friends with other users. Since then, many social media platforms have come and gone. Have you heard of Xanga, Orkut, Friendster and Myspace?
The standout social media platforms today are ones I am sure you have all heard of. There is Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, LinkedIn and even Pinterest. Social media has helped us connect with new friends, partners, clients or customers, whether they are in our own backyard or around the world. We have reconnected with friends from our past. We have shared many recommendations, photos, food, recipes, positivity, news, our opinions, business advice and much more.
For Social Media day today, I want to give you 7 tips to use when posting on social media for or about your business…
- Always use and image in your post. Posts with images get much more engagement than ones without images. A recent article I read said that 87% of engagement on a Facebook post are on posts with images and Tweets with images get 150% more retweets. This is also the reason we have several photo based social media platforms like Instagram, Snapchat and others.
- Share content from others along with sharing your own content. If all you do is talk about yourself, your readers will stop listening.
- We can all use a dose of motivation or inspiration. Take the time to share some inspirational quotes and motivational videos. Quote graphics are simple to create. Find a quote you like and stick it on an image with a complementary look.
- With so much information available on social media, there is no way everyone can see every post. Be sure to share your posts several times.
- Tell a story. Nothing gets a reader more involved in a post than reading a story. This could include something that happened to you or someone you know, in the past or in the now. This will generate more engagement.
- Automate your social media posts. You can outsource your social media to a social media manager, or you can use one of the many tools available. Some of the more popular tools include Hootsuite, Meet Edgar, Buffer, and CoShedule, among many others.
- Always include a call to action at the end of your post. What do you want your reader to do after they finish the article? You can lead them to and opt-in, ask them a question, ask them to comment on the post among other things.
So, what I want to know is what you use social media for and which platforms are you currently using?